Skip to main content
Asked a question 7 months ago

Hello! I am looking for some recommendations or insight from previous experiences. We are self-implementing and so far the leadership team has been our company’s two owners. As we worked through the accountability chart the leadership team is expanding to include the leaders of the major functions of our company. We will soon be sharing the accountability chart with our whole company. There is an anticipation of some conflict with people that believe they should have been on the leadership team, but are not. Where have you seen success and failures as companies start regular meetings with a newly formed leadership team and share their accountability chart? Page 110 of the Traction book outlines a section called “36 Hours of Pain” which is mostly a story as to why to move forward with the process. I have not however found any recommendations, ideas or experiences with how people have presented and shared the accountability chart within the company. Thank you!

As @Emily Morgan72 said, it's about transparency and when you share the State of the Company you further hone in on how the organization needs to be all on the same page. A strong leadership team can field the issues of people feeling excluded and also strengthen the company culture.

Emily Morgan
CEO/Visionary Delegate Solutions

Hey Nick!  I didn't experience this, but I did experience elevating someone who was once their peer to their boss, and have done this a few times now (once to Leadership Team).  We shared all of this via the State of the Company, and being consistent with that every single quarter.  We also use the Accountability Chart to create "ghost" seats so the team knows what roles we will hire for next/ upcoming.   To me, it's about transparency and explaining what you are doing and why.  We did learn that at a certain point you need to open up the jobs to your team and let people apply.  I think it's about getting through this early adoption phase and knowing that it can be painful, but the right people will be inspired and energized by EOS.