Skip to main content
Kathleen Ives
Senior Vice President, Engagement - University Professional and Continuing Education Association
Asked a question 5 months ago

I am in the process of developing our self-implementation plan. By way of quick background we are a virtual company (small, 20 employees) spanning the U.S. We have put a one and a half day face-to-face meeting in our fiscal 2022-23 budget (our fiscal year beings June 1). My question is -- how important is it to go 'in order' with Focus Day and then Vision Building Day 1? We feel Vision Day 1 would be a key meeting to have face-to-face and we'd like to meet as soon as the fiscal year begins. Has anyone gone 'out of order', e.g. Vision Day 1 and then Focus Day? I have my own thoughts but would appreciate the community insights. Many thanks as always.

Kathleen Ives
Senior Vice President, Engagement - University Professional and Continuing Education Association

If it would be helpful, I am happy to share my plan in this forum for our self-implementation roll-out.

Andrew Turner
Professional EOS Implementer

Hi Kathleen,

Traction first, Vision second. You need to run Focus Day first, because that's where we are instilling a level of accountability and discipline. So that we you start running Vision Building days 1 and 2, you have a framework of accountability which will help to lead to healthy conflict when hashing out your V/TO.

As an example, if you are looking at your 3-Year Picture and the CEO says, let's do $100M... if no one is accountable for Sales, then everyone might nod in agreement. But if someone is now truly accountable for that $100M, they may say, I can give you $50M, but $100M doesn't make sense. Then the healthy debate begins and leads to a more rational target that everyone is bought in to.

Andrew