Skip to main content
Question
EOS Purity
Zack SwireProfessional EOS Implementer
Professional EOS Implementer®
Asked a question 2 years ago

How important is it to run EOS purely?

As an Implementer, I get this question from time to time. I get it. I really do. I'm naturally a Visionary and I'm always looking to improve things. I've also seen companies who just want to do it 'their way' or use their language.

Simply put, running EOS purely is in your best interest.

When you read that Gino and others have been testing, iterating, and turned every lever, it's absolutely true. There is immense value in the testing and iteration phase. 

What we can do from those who came before us is to learn and not make the same mistake.

That said, I know there are always new theories and ways of doing things. But, that's not what EOS is all about. The problem isn't that you haven't found that magic pill yet, the problem is that most companies have too many systems, conflicting processes, and an extreme lack of clarity, accountability, and execution.

So, when a company asks if we should run EOS purely, my answer is yes. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Don't confuse your people. Don't confuse yourself. It works. Thousands have come before you to prove that.

Once your foundation is rock solid and you want to test some new theories, hey, you've earned that right, if you want. But, if you aren't gaining consistent traction, if you don't have true accountability, if you have people issues, if you don't do anything with your metrics, and if you're not enjoying your work and your life... give yourself the gift of choosing one system and implementing it well.

Our culture today is always looking for the next thing. We have an app for everything. I don't mind that in certain cases. But, when it comes to your business, your people, and your life - it's too important to mess around and go after shiny objects. I say this from deep down experience in making those mistakes myself. Stick with EOS purely. Make that commitment. It's a gift that will keep on giving.

Philipp Maucher
Director of Engineering as Marketing / Head EOS (Self-)Implementer

@Zack Swire96 Very much agree with your answer above. The way we see EOS is: it's the handrails for running our business (keyword: one operating model) - not handcuffs.

We follow all EOS processes and tools purely. During our company growth (from 80 when we started with EOS to 250 employees within 3 years), we realised we needed to complement EOS with additional systems, processes and reporting cadences. To give some simple examples:

• Product development: Rocks + Agile development (Scrum, Sprints)
  • Finance: Scorecards + Monthly Business Reviews and Board Reviews
  • Leadership: L10s, Quarterly Planning, Annual Planning + Strategic Same Page Meetings
  • V/TOs: Company V/TO + Departmental and in some cases Team V/TOs
  • EOS tools: Move from Offline to Online/Collaborative and integrate with our own systems (e.g. rocks and to-dos into Project and Work Management Software, Processes into our digital Operations Manual, V/TOs into branded Slides, etc.)

EOS is the core of it all, complemented by systems, processes and additional reporting required to break through the next ceiling.